More studies are surfacing on the health benefits of watermelon, especially the benefits watermelon can have on impotency. ”While watermelon has traditionally been seen as a natural vasodilator and libido enhancer, the new study reaffirms its potential as a potency fruit [for erectile dysfunction],” reports 121doc. This one study in particular even went so far as to compare the impact of eating watermelon to taking Viagra.
Watermelon can be a powerful natural remedy for impotency because it contains an abundance phyto-nutrients, which are essential for the overall well-being and health of the human body. In watermelons, these include lycopene, beta carotene, among many other. What has recently been discovered is the benefits of one phyto-nutrient for erectile dysfunction in particular – citrulline.
Citrulline is known to dilate blood vessels, which can increase the flow of blood to the penis. Citrulline has the potential to improve cardiovascular health as well and boost immunity by converting itself to arginine. Arginine is an amino acid that can help resolve problems with penile blood flow, which is the common cause of impotency and erectile dysfunction.
“The citrulline-arginine relationship helps heart health, the immune system and may prove to be very helpful for those who suffer from obesity and type 2 diabetes,” said Dr. Bhimu Patil. “Arginine boosts nitric oxide, which relaxes blood vessels, the same basic effect that Viagra has, to treat erectile dysfunction and maybe even prevent it.”
These studies have also shown that deep red varieties of watermelon have displaced the tomato as the lycopene fruit. Almost 92 percent of watermelon is water, but the remaining 8 percent is loaded with lycopene, an anti-oxidant that protects the human heart, prostate and skin health. Lycopene, however, is fat-soluble, meaning that it needs certain fats in the blood for better absorption by the body. Try to eat watermelon with other oily vegetables, like avocado or spinach, in order to absorb as much lycopene possible.